Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Deer hunting tips?

I have decided to go deer hunting for the first time in a few years since I have moved. The problem is, I don't know the area I am hunting real well or where the deer will likely be like I did in the past. I thought about doing a push with a companion or going on my own in the middle of the day to look around and pick a spot until evening. Where are some good spots to wait or look?Deer hunting tips?
Dont push the area until you have given it a chance . I would slowly still hunt the area, start at 9 am or so first, with the wind in your face. Look for runways, edges, creek crossings. Look for thick nasty cover. Stay out of the cover area. Scrapes and rubs wont tell you much now..The rut has slowed ( scrapes are not being used). Look for runways heading or coming out of the thick area, ( sit down wind from these travel routes) if there isnt a thick area, the deer probably arent bedding in there. Maybe the woodlot is a transitional area between food sources..Most importantly give it a chance before you push it. Good Luck, let me know how you do.


PS I would use a estrus doe bleat, some bucks are still desperate searching out does that have not been bred yet. But be still, bucks responding to that call, are on full alert.Deer hunting tips?
go scouting in advance
cant answer your question until you tell me where it is youre hunting%26gt;%26gt;
Scout the edge of fields first. Try to find trails moving from the timber to their feeding areas. If hunting in big timber look for trails leading to and from their bedding areas.





And if you are proficient at it-then still hunting is a very good way to hunt in an area you have not been able to fully scout prior to hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment