Friday, February 12, 2010

Deer gun question?

I am thinking of purchasing a 44 mag rifle for deer,Which one should I buy,the Ruger or the Marlin,I like them both.Any input or personal experience from you guys would be greatDeer gun question?
Just bought a Marlin 1895ss. I did shoot a ruger, and I liked it. I chose the Marlin cause I think It looked cool, and It hold value better. I hunted for years with the ought 6, and the .308. 44s put more energy on target with big holes. I tried several brands of ammo, and found 3 that kick arce.





Black Hills 300 grain HP. They shoot the best with the best groups.





Buffalo Bore Lead Hard Cast 300 grain. This round will remind you you are shooting a magnum.





COR-BON 305 Flat Point. These hang up a bit, but do shoot well.





Great Gun, very accurate with iron sights!!!Deer gun question?
really depends on where you live and if there are restrictions on hunting with a semi auto rifle. ruger is the original mfg of 44 rem mag pistols contrary to popular belief (most people think the S%26amp;W mdl 29 is.) likewise, the very first rifle Bill Ruger ever made (circa 1960) was the Deerstalker later known as the .44 carbine, and a later run known as the Deerfield carbine . . . ruger did make the 96/44 which is a lever action, but it is no longer in production, as are the previous two designs. Granted i'm ruger partial . . . but the capacity is only 4 + 1 in lever action or semi-auto. the Rossi %26gt;%26gt;%26gt; now Puma has a capacity of 10+1 if I'm not mistaken, while the Marlin 1894 has a capacity of 10+1 (again if i'm not mistaken.) I guess the big difference that i see is that the Rugers were designed to withstand higher (cup)pressures so the action is stronger and hotter loads can fired vs the capacity of the others. the older ruger semi auto 44 carbines have a fixed mag like a bolt action rifle, which is not a bad thing, however, ruger does offer a detachable rotary magazine design that can be easily and quickly popped out and reloaded so you are not stuck using flat point bullets, which are essential for tubular magazines to prevent the bullets from accidentally discharging the firing pin of the next bullet in the tube mag. still, i believe hornady has a new plastic tipped bullet out that reduces that risk and supposedly increases the range of lever action guns due to its spire point. if all else fails type ruger 44 carbine vs marlin 1894 44 into the google search engine and see what other people think. its all about doing your homework.
The Marlin will be more accurate and cheaper.





Another to consider is the Legacy sports PUMA. This is a Rossi made in Brazil and is a 1892 clone and will be just as accurate as the other rifles mentioned. The regular model can't have a scope on it, but if you like open sights and tradition you might like it. They do have a scout scope model as well.


http://www.legacysports.com/products/pum鈥?/a>





Just something to look at
Both the Ruger and the Marlin are great little rifles. I've owned .44 Mags made by Rossi (1892 Winchester clone) and an authentic Winchester 1894 Trapper with the 16'; barrel. They are hard to beat for short range work. I carry my .44 Mag. Trapper now if all I'm doing is checking the pond or hog traps.





H
I killed my first deer with a Ruger .44 Mag rifle. Great brush or short distance gun. It is not very accurate over 125 yards or so, but has tremendous knockdown power. The Marlin is probably a little less expensive, but I prefer a Ruger.
I own Ruger rifles and can say they make an excellent product...... I dont own the model your looking at but do own several others of there rifles and can say they are reliable, accurate and look nice too........
i had a 44 ruger years ago...it was a nice shooting handy gun...just remember 44 is really a handgun cal...less than 100 yards MAX range...50 to 75 yrds even better
Get a Marlin 336 30-30, more power then a .44 mag
They're both excellent arms. Just go with the one that feels right to you...it's just personal preference.
I would just get a 30-30 marlin or a 243.

No comments:

Post a Comment