Friday, February 12, 2010

Are Deer Whistles Effective?

I make an hour commute once a week and I'm on the road very early in the morning (still dark outside) and late at night (very dark out) and I drive on a freeway that passes through heavily wooded areas. I frequently see deer that were hit on the side of the road and I am VERY terrified that I may hit one. Has anyone had any experience with this Deer Whistle? Please let me know if it's worth purchasing! :)Are Deer Whistles Effective?
About 5 out of 10 drivers will hit a deer at some point in their life. Deer whistles do nothing except give you a false sense of security. Deer are getting more and more overpopulated and pay less and less attention to human activity as more and more of their natural habitat is consumed for the benefit of humans.





There is absolutely no evidence that they work or don't work. I know a lot of people that have hit deer with the whistles on their car. With or without them, you still only have a 50% chance of not hitting a deer at some point.





As far as worth purchasing, they will do as much to keep you from hitting a deer as 2 cups of store bought coffee at the same price, but might make you feel better.Are Deer Whistles Effective?
Popular opinion would say seem to say no. And research I've read also says no. You best defense is to slow down and keep your eyes peeled! Look from side to side as you are passing wooded areas. Your peripheral vision may not catch a deer standing motionless beside the road (until it suddenly moves), but your central vision will! Always be prepared to stop.





Read this;





http://advance.uconn.edu/2002/021118/021…
It doesn't hurt to buy 1 or 2. They're inexpensive and their installation is minimal, some use a clip, or L-brace, and some just use an adhesive. Better still, I would recommend upgrading your headlamps, or get beams that will penetrate a farther distance, so if something does come up, then you'll see it well ahead of time.
Ohio Highway Patrol did a study a couple of years ago, and put the whistles on a percentage of their fleet. At the end of the year, the deer strikes per mile driven between the with and the without cars was about the same. No, they don't work...
Hahahah, my friend has those on her car...come to find out they're only for some specific breed of Canadian deer.. but that might be just hers, they probably make them for all kinds. But I do know they don't scare away moose because she hit one the other night.
No. Total waste of money. I can't tell you how many cars I've inspected that hit deer and were equipped with those whistles.

No comments:

Post a Comment