Friday, February 12, 2010

Tonight my dog was attacked by a deer!!?

Tonight one of my 3 dogs chased 10 deer down to our back fence.When my husband heard him whining, he charged down there and scared them off the dog.


Well, in the mean-time my little dashound Squirt was going to the bathroom up by the house,my husband turned around because he heard something and it was a deer that ran all the way back up to the house to stomp my dog.


She has a hoof gash right on her side by the shoulder about 2'; long and it's split right open.Not very deep,but how can I treat it as my vet didn't want to see her tonight..Yes,I am changing vets.I have heard superglue,tylenol.I want to know something that you have used,and it works.Tonight my dog was attacked by a deer!!?
Poor little thing!


Keep pressure on the wound (probably already stopped bleeding, yes?) and put gauze on it. Keep it bandaged good, and call an emergency vet. You can wrap ice in a washcloth and press it to the wound to keep swelling down. Basically treat it as if it was a cut on your skin.


***I wouldn't give the dog any meds, he's pretty small and could get very sick. Superglue is a good idea if the bleeding won't stop--it was created for the US Army as a medical adhesive. But you shouldn't use it unless you really have to.





And shame on your vet for not wanting to see you tonight!Tonight my dog was attacked by a deer!!?
omg! thats horrible! and your dog got OWNED! try calling an emergency vet! they should help you no matter what time of night or day!
For sure give the poor thing tylenol. I lived on a farm growing up, so we have had many injuries with pets, dogs, cats, calves, foals, you name it. And for as awful as this may sound my parents couldn't always afford the vet. So we learned to self treat pretty fast. I had a foal that had gotten attacked my a mt lion. Luckily, the other horses scared it away. Her hind quarters got scratched up pretty bad. Between the basic H, and the mare. She turned out ok. Another one here. I had another foal who had decided to role under the barb wired fence when we were away on vacation in SD. He was only 3 or 4 days old. Well he of course was trying to suckle, ripped his neck wide open. Dad thought he was a gonner. We mixed some basic h and kept it clean with that. It worked like a charm. He ended up with a colic there, but it healed wonderfully. He is now a bronc horse in Bismarck ND.


Just keep it clean. As i think i saw someone advise already, keep pressure on it. Get the bleeding to stop. Once you do that, and get the pain under controll, you'll be one step closer to having your dog back. Still take her to the vet, but those were just ideas for you til then. We've saved cats that have been run over, pups that have been kicked by cows/horses. I swear my dad should have been a vet, but i guess thats what comes with ranchin for all those years and living in the middle of no where.
Here is the basic first aid for a laceration. Scroll down to laceration, to find the treatment%26gt; http://www.dog.com/vet/firstaid/01.asp
yes, I have heard of deer attacking little dogs


clean it out bandage with loose cloth and go to the emergency vet. and shame on your stupid vet, I thought hey weren't allowed to do that.
No tylenol please, it's not safe to give dogs but you can give her a baby aspirin (81 mg), that's safe. If it's not actively bleeding, just keep it clean. You really don't want to put anything on it to seal it if the new vet wants to deep clean it %26amp; depending on how it looks, they may want to put a drain in it.


Deer may look soft %26amp; sweet, but as you've found out, they can get mean. And the stress level was major so they just went after whatever they thought was a threat. Not only will they kick but they'll also bite %26amp; who knows what bacteria they carry.


Hope your little one is alright %26amp; make sure when she feels better, she doesn't try to get revenge. And I would report your vet to the vet association or licensing agency. He is supposed to treat your pet if you feel that it's an emergency %26amp; a dacshound getting kicked by a deer %26amp; injured is. Your new vet should be able to give that info or the humane society.
I feel so sorry for that little pooch! He sounds like a beautiful dog. I wouldn't try to use any glue etc. incase something goes wrong, %26amp; I would call an emergency 24 hour vet as soon as possible. Hope little Squirt heals up soon!
ah the poor thing.





I would be calling a all night emergency pet clinic/hospital.





I have heard of using glue like you asked, but I wouldn't, the wound needs to be cleaned and checked by a vet.
No tylenol, no NSAIDS.. See a different vet tonight.. You shouldn't do anything that they'll have to undo tomorrow when you go to the vet.


Clean it tho, but leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment