Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Have You Ever Hit A Deer Or Other Animal While Driving?

If NO...it that due to good luck or do you drive defensively?





If YES鈥t that due to bad luck or do you drive recklessly?Have You Ever Hit A Deer Or Other Animal While Driving?
I say 'bad luck'. Reckless driving doesn't really come into it. At least in Wisconsin, where I live. They just sneak up out of the woods and before you know it, it's in front of you. Once my dad hit and killed a deer with our family minivan and, after he pulled over and was inspecting the damage, a truck of hunters pulled up and asked if they could have it. They threw the deer in the back of the truck and drove off.


';Driving Defensively'; is tricky. When you see a deer, your first ';defensive'; instinct is to swerve, and, usually, that means crashing into oncoming traffic or falling into a ditch. Where I come from there are public service announcements telling drivers to drive straight at a deer instead of swerving, which is sort of the opposite of what a ';defensive driver'; would think.Have You Ever Hit A Deer Or Other Animal While Driving?
You could buy deer warning whistles, and attach them to your front bumper...

Report Abuse



Yes I hit a BIG deer jumped almost completely over my hood just cracked one of my lens covers. My bf and I hit a cat once on the hwy. We circled back and found that it was still alive so we rushed it to the vet. She kept the cat until it ran away one day. Both times I think it was wrong time, wrong place for me and the animals.
I am a VERY cautious driver, never had a ticket of any kind....recently hit a squirrel and felt terrible about it. Once hit a raccoon while driving on a very dark stretch of highway; could not avoid it (cars in other lanes). Have seen deer standing on the side of the highway on occasion and am always nervous that one might leap out in front of my car. I have seen cars TOTALED by deer impacts.
No and it's been pure luck
Yes. It was bad luck we were coming home to see my parents and all of a sudden something hit the front of a car. It happened so fast i couldn't even see what it was. Well we found out that it was a deer. Everyone in the car was ok but unfortunately the deer wasn't. Our car how ever wash smashed the whole front end.
When I first got my license, I hit an oppossum.....I hated that....I am a very safe driver and it just came out of nowhere, I tried to avoid it, but couldn't.....I do not like it when that happens...but sometimes you cannot help it.....I have met people that LOVE to try and hit something while driving....silly people, huh?
Yes I have hit two cats, two possums, and a bird...





All due to bad luck.
I ran over a jack rabbit once and it was sad,,,It just ran out in front of my car :(
not a reckless driver: I've had a deer run up alongside my car!





And unfortunately I hit on of Alvin, Simon and Theodores cousins; I was sick about it too!
2 birds and a squirrel
no. and its all because i don't drive.


i close my eyes every time when i see a dog crossing the road while I'm in a moving vehicle.so i figured i better not learn to drive for the safety of many many people.


talking about hitting an animals on the road, my husband is annoyed with me because i go 'look out there's a dog on the street, look out that cat is about the Cross the street...'


he hates it but i need to do it, i feel that if i don't he's going to run over the poor thing. : )
yes, a squirrel....due to the fact that squirrels are nuts and suicidal.
I hit a rabbit once when I was younger and cried and cried. I have also hit a squirrel but didn't cry, although I felt bad. I also have hit a couple of birds and a butterfly. I felt bad about them too. I'm not sure if it's just bad luck or due to my driving.
I have hit a total of 5! I think they wait at the side of the road for me! ';OKAY HERE SHE COMES JUMP';!!!!!!!!!!!!
not yet maybe bcos i'm always caution on the road.


the only accident that i have is hitting a pole while parking. hmmm...
I've ran over a skunk before. It was due to me being under the influence of a green leafy substance.
I think that I drive defensively, however, I have hit and presumably killed some animals while doing so. Years ago, I saw a possum run out in front of my car while driving on a country road. I instantly took my foot off the gas but decided not to break or swerve for fear of causing the car to run off the narrow road. I heard the animal go under the car and actually apologized for causing it's demise. I remember the incident as clear as day.





I do not think of it as a matter of luck unless you only consider it as bad luck for the animal. I think it is more a matter of percentages or odds that a car meets an animal in the road, which in most cases causes death for the animal.





You bring up the case of hitting a deer in your question. Most deer will be hit on a country road where there are less cars and traffic but more probability of the deer getting hit. The deer can also cause a great deal of damage to the car as well as the driver or passengers.





Birds, on the other hand, seem to get in front of cars, aircraft, or trains out in the open where there is heavy traffic. They probably fly into traffic while chasing a meal.
Not a deer, I live in Australia. I have hit a kangaroo twice. Two weeks running, both times at dusk in the same spot. Boy am I care full there now.
um no. i dont drive
I drive defensively ... very ... I grew up in rural Texas where deer and other animals dart out in front of you on the highway, day and/or night. You have no warning at all. I have almost hit many deer (but got lucky). I hit an armadillo and I had 2 birds dive-bomb into my windshield (it cracked one of those times). I think that the birds get so hot flying around in Texas they loose their minds and then their direction.
its hard to say, i personally when driving, have avoided hitting them , about 10 times, but yrs. ago i was riding my horse, %26amp; a deer darted right out in front of us, we didnt see it coming!! my son in law hits about 3 a year!! he doesnt do it on purpous, it tears his trucks all to pieces, %26amp; thats exspensive, but its very common here in n.c., also very dangerous, if one comes through the windshield, it can kill you, also if you hit one, DONT go near it, can be very dangerous if its wounded.
On a bird once, can you imagine
yes---i once hit a deer and once a deer ran into the side of my car


no i do not drive recklessly, never even gotten a ticket in my life
It's all about Luck, or lack of it...





If you'd like to improve your chances however, of not hitting any animals, just go to any Auto Parts store, and for $5, you can stick ';Deer Warning Whistles'; on your front bumper...





They make a sterophonic sound which tells animals (which are extrememly audio-sensitive, it's a survival requirement), to stay away, whereas headlights alone, confuse animals, and give them a signal to approach...
Yes, birds, a dog, and a couple squirells... totally their fault!
Yes and it messed my car up badly
I am sad to say thay yes, I have.


I was really proud of the fact that I had never hit an animal before that time.





I was driving along a rural two-lane road with the speed limit set at 120km/h - which I was sticking to.


Suddenly, a small little monkey jumped onto the road from the bushes. He was exacly the same colour as the bushes so I only saw him as he came onto the black road.


There was no way that I could swerve to avoid him in time so I attempted to make sure that he went right down the middle, under the car so that my tires would not hit him.


I did not feel any impact so I thought that I missed the poor little thing, but when I looked in my rear view mirror, he was tumbling down the road.





So, yes I have hit an animal and it was purely down to bad luck :-(
Never have.


Never had a deer approach me.
Yes. My dog wouldn't stop barking on the way to the vet and I couldn't concentrate so I smacked him in the head.





I due have bad luck with animals.
no
Ok, So this is tragic. I was driving from Colorado to New Mexico to visit my family and there I was out on the open road doing about 90-95 mph and I see a flock of corws in the road ahead and when they began to fly away, one got up too late and hit the bottom of my windsheild and rolled over the car, I could hear it and I looked in my rearveiw mirror and saw ti rolling down the road, just to get hit by another truck. I cried so hard. it was so painful to see that.

No comments:

Post a Comment