Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Deer hunting problem?

I just started bow hunting this year. The past few times I have been hunting all of the deer have seen me almost before I see them. I am at least 15 feet up in a tree, and I stay very still in quiet, what is my problem?Deer hunting problem?
i bow hunt in a 12 foot tripod and i got a deer last Saturday so hight is not your problem, and who knows the deer might just be seeing you first.


i don't use any sent products i just keep my camo out in the woods where i hunt. along with what ever i wear under it, that seems to cover my sent pretty well.


as for your back ground i would check if there are some small trees nearby(maby 20 or 30ft high) and bend them so that the tops of them are behind you, you can use dark green rope for tieing them in place


also if you can move your stand i suggest putting it to the east of your clearing or feeder so in the morning the sun partially blinds the deer and gives you a better view of the deer(that would be for if you hunt mainly in the morning, if you hunt in the evening then try the west). but if your stand is built into the tree then i guess you will just have to live with it.





well that's all i can say good luck.Deer hunting problem?
they dont see you they smell you. shower with scentless soap before hunting and if you wash your clothes leave them hang outside for a few days.
Never ever used any scent remover that they are promoting now %26amp; I never had a problem harvesting Deer with Bow or Rifle.** You stand may be making noise or you need to change your location %26amp; air flow %26amp; air currents are unpredictable, however I think its because of the location where you are setting up, change your location %26amp; the way you set up your tree stand.*
Sounds like they are sniffing you out. Try not using anything artificial like deodorant, hair spray or after shave. Showering with unscented soap the night before will help.





Good luck.





H
They could be smelling you or are you just jumping the gun because the deer looked at you. I've been in a stand had a buck look right at me I didn't move a muscle I thought he was going to bolt out of there but nope he just walked around a bit kept looking at me every now and then I guess I looked like some big bundle of leaves or something. He knew something wasn't right with this situation but he didn't spook and I didn't shoot because I was just sitting there before the season had started and was checking out what was moving through my stand area. It was illegal for me to shoot that buck so I didn't but not the coyote that walked through an hour after the deer came through.
I can smell you from here
Have you tried scent cover up stuff? Also lures may help
Most likely it is your scent. I don't use the no scent washing detergent, toothpaste, or deotorant. Maybe I don't smell as bad as others...haha. What I do is, I spray my clothes and boots, inside and out, with Fresh Earth spray (I think made by Hunter's Specialties) and hang them up to dry the night before the hunt. Then I spray them again in the morning when I arrive to my hunting spot before walking into the woods (while they are on). Make sure to spray your boots really good in the morning too as the scent from the car mat may have all kinds of smells on it. Just make sure to spray the areas that sweat or smell more than others as well as on the hands and rub it in. To cover my breathe I use a camo handkerchief around my mouth (like a robber). These methods haven't failed me yet and I am the type of person who doesn't have a ton of money to spend on all the cover ups and doo dads so this is what I have to work with and it works.
Hey depends if you got you're rear end up wind or down wind, and lay off the deodorant's.
i agree with another poster in that they are smelling you.wash yout clothes in a scent free detergent.before you start out out in the woods spray yourself down with a scent killer.many hunters often overlook the fact that their gear will give off a smell so spray your equipment with a scent killer.rubber soled boots will give off a strong odor. spray them down before you ever leave camp and then again when to arrive at your stand.i will often spray the stand when i get there and leave.be careful with anything you use for shaving,brushing your teeth,showering,or any bath soaps. they have many of these that are scent free.if i use a masking scent i try to match it to the trees in the area.we have a great deal od pine trees so i use a pine scent.i think it is bad to use a overbearinf scent masker.i use a water based and it works great.i have had deer bed down under my stand while i was there.if you control you scent then there is no need to be up so high.look things over that may give off a scent and try to stop that. i see now they even have a scent killer for your breath.spray the areas of your body that may swet.


----retired texas deputy sheriff----
You need to put some camo burlap around your stand. You can use scent free products, but think what hunters did before the scant free products. Adjust your stand for the wind and try showering before you go and not using deodorant of any kind. All of the cover scents are not even good to use. Just think old fashioned.
Watch your scent, how fast you move (move slowly if you have to move and look around using your eyes instead of turning your head when you can) and your placement of the treestand. If you are out in the open, they can see you easily. If you are in a cedar tree or some evergreen tree, that's the best in my opinion. You can hide when the leaves of other trees fall off, you are still hid in the green. Don't saw too many branches off. Just get about 2 or 3 shot holes where you can get a clean shot and keep you hid with the others. oh, you can also paint your face and hands with green, brown, or black paint if you don't have a head covering or gloves.
yep desent your self, are you up in a tree stand?
They can probably smell you. Take a scent free shower and use scent free products on your clothes and shoes and everything else you take bow hunting with you.. Hope this helps you get the Thirty pointer...
try going to a sports goods store and get some scent killer because deer dont look up on there own.scent killer is usually about 10.00 for a spray bottle(well worth it if you really are desperate to get somthing)
Being scented is the biggest cause of spooking deer. However if you play your cards right you can get by without scent killers. Don't get me wrong, scent killers do work and really do increase your odds of success. One of the best things to remember is to position your stand so the wind is in your face and the sun is at your back. This means more than one stand when you are hunting different times of the day. Deer have this uncanny knowledge of knowing just about every stick, tree and blade of grass in the woods. They know when something changes, like you being there even thought you use all the scent killer stuff on the market. Don't get discouraged, the time will come and one will let down it's guard.
You stink.....





Use apples.
They may be seeing your outline, humans have a very distinct outline in the wild and are very easy to pick out. Make sure you have enough cover behind you. I like to situate my stand with a large evergreen tree of some sort behind me so that I have background cover year round. Deer will be familiar with the area they travel and a human shaped object will stick out like a sore thumb.


Also take every measure to eliminate your scent. Deer see different than we do, so camoflauge isn't all that important. Make sure however, not to wash the clothes you hunt in with laundry soap that uses U.V. brighteners. Use a soap specifically designed for hunters, or wash your clothes in just plain water and let them sit outside until use.

No comments:

Post a Comment